Check the weekly newsletter for closures due to holidays, weather, etc.
Planet Protectors’ primary program is purposed to divert film plastics from landfills. Currently we achieve this by holding weekly recycling events at a retail drycleaning business location. The program currently processes more than 4,000 pounds per month as part of a program sponsored by the Trex Corporation.
Our flagship re-use program consists of three elements:
- Educate – We teach friends in our community on how to properly collect & process all recyclable materials, and how to use purchasing habits to reduce needless waste.
- Collect – We run events twice weekly to collect Type 2 and Type 4 ‘film plastic’ in the Ablitt’s Fine Dry Cleaning business location.
- Deliver – When we have gathered 2,000 pounds of materials, we ship it to durable building products manufacturer Trex, where it is turned into home-building materials
What CAN you recycle with us?:
- Retail shopping bags
- Dry cleaning bags
- Ziploc-style storage bags
- Soft plastic and bubble mailing envelopes (including Amazon bubble mailing envelopes)
- Clean and dry produce bags
- Bread bags (turned inside out with crumbs removed)
- Plastic around toilet paper, paper towels, bottled drink cases, diapers, etc
- Shipping air pillows (pop first)
- Pallet wrap
- Air pillows and Bubble wrap (pop large cells)
- Newspaper bags
Items we dont accept:
- Nothing wet
- Nothing dirty (no food residue)
- Biodegradable bags
- Food wrap (it: Saran Wrap, meat or cheese wrap)
- Crinkly bags (pre-washed salad bags etc.)
- Items with lots of tape (small bits okay)
- Hard plastic
All plastic must be clean and dry.
Still not sure?
Does it stretch easily? (If it’s hard to stretch, it’s probably not recyclable.)
When it tears, does it tear slowly and in a jagged line? (If it tears fast and straight its not recyclable.)
How Our Program Works
Sign up for our newsletter
When you are ready to recycle with us, sign up for a slot on our Google Form for one of our sorting events. Each event has a unique link, and you will receive that link in your “recycling event” email (signup for that list here if you have not already 😉
- If you are able to Complete and Submit the Google form, you are confirmed for the event; if not, this means our event is fully booked. Sorry if this happens, we are working on expansion – and please try again next week!
- When you arrive at the event, please park on the street or in the city lot across the street (75 min free). There is often a queue for sorting so please do not park in a loading zone or in the Ablitts driveway.
- At the event, you will partner with one of our volunteers to sort through and collect your plastic. Our volunteers will keep everything that is approved and have you take home any rejects.
Are interested in volunteering?